Drugi jezik na kojem je dostupan ovaj članak: Bosnian
By: Kemal Koštrebić
Over the last six months Valicon has teamed up with company BlackBox to measure consumer reactions to more than 360 ads using EEG (electroencephalograph) and eyetracking technologies. Meanwhile, this new service was used by 25 companies and 36 brands from Bosnia and Herzegovina and the region, which is probably the fastest adoption of an innovation in consumer research ever. The base of the measured ads represents an important knowledge base for understanding consumer response to advertising.
The main findings of neurological biometric measurements that can be drawn from the first six months of use are related primarily to the elements of execution, which is the main benefit of such measurements. This measurement is not carried out for the purpose of valuation of either creative solutions, or the correctness of decisions in the creative process, but to monitor the reaction of consumers in order to improve execution, which can be used in post-production phase, but also in decision making between several different solutions.
Some findings, discussed in this article, lead us to return to the basics. Hypotheses have now been empirically checked according to an objective method, that is not based on the statements of the respondents but on the basis of their reactions at the subconscious level. This, however, are not assumptions, because these practices were recognized on the basis of 360 measured ads, which shows that these are cases that frequently occur in practice.
We believe that the tips from Valicon, based on the combined knowledge of advertising and neuroscience, brought to us by Ismir Omeragić, will contribute to better design of advertisements, or more specifically ads that are more pleasant to the eye and the ear, less invasive for the spectators and more successful for clients.
- Harmonized visual and audio stimuli. Processing of these two channels should be harmonized both in content and in timing, as well as in meaning. Otherwise there are unpleasant emotional reactions and dispersion of attention, which ultimately means failure of delivery of the ad’s basic message.
- Don’t overdo with repetition. Excessive repetition in a relatively short period of time, especially in the voice of the narrator, has a similar frustrating effect as small letters.
- Don’t complicate the message. People love simple messages. The everyday world is complex enough for them – don’t be a part of that.
- Music has a strong effect on both the sensory response and the attention. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the music, which always has to be in some way complementary to the visual elements.
- Don’t use tiny letters.Small typeface draws attention in the wrong direction, as it arouses frustration and anxiety in the consumer because they can’t read the written text in a short period of time.
- Narrator has a very important role. It’s specially the case in the final part of the ad, which is crucial in the sense of summing up the message and the influence on consumer behavior.
- Humor and/or celebrities in ads. Jokes or celebrities attract attention, but they often keep it on themselves and don’t communicate the message of the ad, or more specifically the brand or the product. Without a clear role for humor, or a celebrity, ad loses focus and doesn’t achieve its goal.
Neurological method of research of consumer reactions does not replace classical methods of market research. Actually, this is more a part of the combination of both methods of research that together give us the most comprehensive picture of our consumers. “In the near future, biometric data will become standard on all levels, even in our region,” Omeragić is convinced. “However, we will not stop at data obtained by using EEG and eyetracking technologies. We will introduce indicators from other sources, such as heart rate, facial expression of emotions, and the like.”
Lessons learned should definitely be used in creating new ads. However, each new ad is a new challenge because we create a new bridge between the brand and the consumer. Valicon therefore organizes in all their offices regular monthly measurements of ads in development or newly launched ads. You can also apply with your ads and get more information via email email@example.com. Time schedule of future measurements (please note additional time slots can be set according to expressed needs):
- Ljubljana – 06 June 2016
- Zagreb – 16 June 2016
- Sarajevo – 20 June 2016
- Beograd – 23 June 2016